We are proud recipients of the 2018 Ethie Award!
The ETHIE Award is an annual program that recognizes the Rochester region’s organizations that exemplify high standards of ethical behavior in their everyday business practices, and in response to crises or challenges. Learn more about this premier award.
Breast Cancer Coalition Award Recipients
The Breast Cancer Coalition presents two awards at our annual ARTrageous Affair Breast Cancer Gala: the Advocate’s Spirit Award and “Heart & Hands” Award.
Advocate's Spirit Award
The Advocate’s Spirit Award is named in honor of Harriet Susskind-Rosenblum, a Breast Cancer Coalition of Rochester Founder, a poet, and a fearless advocate who fought a glorious battle against breast cancer.
Harriet never wavered in her commitment to eradicate breast cancer. Her hope was that her daughters would not have to live with the fear and uncertainty caused by the disease that she fought against so fiercely. Her advocate’s spirit lives on in all of us who had the privilege of knowing her. Harriet died of the disease in October 2002.
Heart and Hands
The Heart & Hands Award is named in honor of Laurie Pask, an early member of our “Living with Metastatic Breast Cancer” Group. Those who knew Laurie knew her as a kind and caring wife, sister, daughter, niece, and friend.
Those who win this award are care providers whose work best exemplifies the balance of kindness, compassion, respect, and science that Laurie demonstrated while providing care to her own patients. Laurie is often remembered for saying “Remember we’re LIVING with advanced breast cancer, not dying of it” followed by a gentle smile. We lost Laurie in November of 2008.
Advocate’s Spirit Award Recipients
- 2022 – Kelley Madden, PhD
- 2021 – Congressman John Katko
- 2020 – Deanna Dewberry
- 2019 – Senator Pamela Helming
- 2018 – Beverly Canin
- 2017 – Candice A. Lucas, EdD, MBA
- 2016 – Michael F. Nozzolio, NYS Senator
- 2015 – Harry B. Bronson, NYS Assemblman
- 2014 – Joseph E. Robach, NYS Senator
- 2013 – Lila Bluestone
- 2012 – Katrina Smith Korfmacher, PHD
- 2011 – The Andrew & Helen Pluta Family
- 2010 – Phyllis Connelly, Chair Emeritus
- 2009 – Susanne Callan-Harris, PT, MS, LLC
- 2008 – Maggie Brooks, Monroe County Executive
- 2007 – Christopher Caldwell, MD
- 2006 – James S. Alesi, NYS Senator
- 2005 – Jennifer Griggs, MD
- 2004 – Wende Logan Young, MD
Heart & Hands Award Recipients
- 2022 – Avice O’Connell, MD
- 2021 –Kristin A. Skinner, MD
- 2020 –Joel Yellin, MD
- 2019 – Charlene Connors, MD
- 2018 – Nancy Gadziala, MD
- 2017 – Alissa J. Huston, MD
- 2016 – Judy Zeeman-Golden, LCSW
- 2015 – Marcia Krebs, MD
- 2014 – Kitty Forbush, RN
- 2013 – Marilyn N. Ling, MD
- 2012 – Alexander J. Solky, MD
- 2011 – Sandra Sabatka, LMSW
- 2010 – Victoria U. Nugent, NP