With “social distancing” our new normal, the Coalition was unable to host our weekly Brown Bag Friday the last two Fridays. Instead we reached out to our survivor community to see how they were doing “sheltering in place”. We received some amazing comments, a few of which are shared below.
- The upside is that we are getting more downtime!
- This has offered many of us a chance to slow down, gaze inwardly and appreciate what is really important. Slowing down allows one to appreciate all the little signs of spring. Regardless of what is going on in the world, nature prevails.
- I am taking daily walks with my dog, doing my Surviving and Thriving on Aromatase Inhibitor exercises, and praying hard for all of us to get through this crisis with humanity and compassion. And of course, I am washing my hands. A lot!
- I went on a “vacation treasure hunt” at the beach. To self-quarantine or social distance, one can still have an adventure.
- This is the time to put aside political leanings and work together for the good of all and, in many cases, we are seeing just that.
- It kind of reminds me of when I was a little kid and had the whole day to play and decide what I was going to do.
- My husband and I are just thankful that we are able to be in our home. We will all get through this.
- I am playing CDs of music from the 50’s thru the 80’s – compilations my husband made after he retired – and dancing in my living room to the music. Good exercise and good memories!!
- I am reading some books that have been collecting dust for a while, trying to exercise every day, and yes, binge-watching shows.
- I started my spring house cleaning so I can take a vacation as soon as it is possible.
- I am doing more yoga, meditation and taking extra long daily walks.
- How I cope: write some letters the good old-fashioned way… imagine the surprise! Stay in touch with those you love through technology such as Facetime, Skype, Zoom, Team… most are free!
Brown Bag Friday is going VIRTUAL!!!
Breast and gynecologic cancer survivors can join the Brown Bag Friday discussion at 12:00 pm each Friday in April by clicking on the link below!
Join Brown Bag Zoom Meeting: meeting ID: 624 006 223