Quick Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili
With the addition of sweet potatoes, this easy chili is invigorating yet comforting. Black bean and sweet potato chili has become a classic combo.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, minced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into approximately 3/4-inch dice
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans (drained and rinsed) or 3 to 3 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes (pref. fire roasted)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and bell pepper and sauté for 2 minutes longer.
Add the remaining ingredients except the salt and cilantro. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat and cook gently, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is tender.
Season gently with salt. If time allows, let stand off the heat for an hour or two, then heat through as needed. Garnish each serving with extra cilantro, if using.
Recipe adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas. Visit Nava at TheVeganAtlas.com for lots more easy, tasty vegan recipes for everyday meals and special occasions.